The electrical panel in your home relies on circuit breakers or fuses to keep your electronic gadgets powered, and with the number of gadgets always increasing, so too does the importance of your panel. When a circuit breaker trips in your home, it is frustrating and can be dangerous depending on the situation. If you have access to a reputable electrician who can come in and fix the problem quickly and you won’t have to worry about your favorite gadgets breaking down. Homeowners in Denver, CO have trusted Time Plumbing, Heating & Electric Inc. since 1983.
Discover what others in your area have to say about our services on our reviews and feedback page.
Why Did My Breaker Trip?
When a circuit breaker trips in your home, there are generally a handful of reasons for it. The breaker is designed to protect your electrical system from carrying more current than it can handle, and to trip off if the circuit has been overloaded. Situations like a short circuit, overloaded circuit or a ground fault can result in a tripped breaker.
Sometimes, simply moving a couple of your electricity-producing devices to a different breaker will fix the problem. You may also have some loose connections that need attention, but if nothing seems to reset the breaker effectively, it may be faulty and need to be replaced.
Testing a Breaker
When testing for a faulty breaker, you need to unplug the devices that are connected to the affected circuit and see if the breaker resets itself. If all the electrical loads are disconnected and it does reset, you can start reconnecting them one by one to figure out where the problem lies.
Save on your next service with our exciting money-saving coupons and specials.
Leave it to the Professionals
Testing for faulty breakers is best left to the professionals. Especially if you have little experience dealing with electricity. During the testing and repair process, one misstep could mean serious burns or electrocution. Also, if you don’t have intimate knowledge of how your home’s electrical system works, you may end up making the situation worse and causing a fire when the house is powered up and running again. The desire to save money and perform DIY repairs is normal, but don’t sacrifice your family’s safety in the process.